Levaquin Prescribing Information
Levaquin is an antibiotic drug that is used in the treatment of a variety of bacterial infections. The generic name of Levaquin is levofloxacin. It is basically a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. It is not effective in the treatment of infections caused by viruses.
This drug can lead to very serious and debilitating side effects hence, the use of this drug is limited to the infections that show no positive sign with the treatment with safer antibiotics.
Mode of Action of Levaquin
Levaquin kills the bacteria that lead to infection. This drug enters the cell wall of the bacteria and inhibits DNA- gyrase which is a bacterial enzyme. This kills the bacteria and helps in arresting the infection.
Uses of Levaquin
Levaquin is used for the treatment of bacterial infections. It helps in the treatment of the bacterial infections of,
- It is also used in the treatment of infections that lead to pneumonia or bronchitis
- It is also used in the patients with anthrax
How to Take Levaquin?
You must take Levaquin exactly the way prescribed by the doctor. You must take the dose as advised by the doctor. Do not modify the dose without the consent of your doctor.
Take the drug with water at exactly the same time of the day every day. One thing to keep in mind is that you must drink fluids in large amount to keep the kidneys working nicely. Take the tablets with or without food.
Take the oral solution on empty stomach. Take the solution one hour prior to the meal or two hours after the meal.
Side- effects of Levaquin
The side- effects of Levaquin are many. Some side- effects of Levaquin are so serious that it may lead to very serious consequences.
The common side- effects of Levaquin are:
The serious side- effects of Levaquin include:
- Allergic reaction induced by Levaquin manifest as hives, increased heart rate, skin rashes, swelling on face, tongue, lips or throat and difficulty in breathing
- Swelling or rupture of tendon.
- It can also cause serious effect on the nerves and lead to permanent damage of the nerves
- Severe pain in the stomach
- Bloody or watery diarrhoea
- Ill feeling or sudden weakness,
- Swoolen glands
- Sore throat
- Mouth sores
- Headache associated with chest pain
- Fainting, dizziness
- Pounding or fast heartbeats
- Easy bruising or excessive bleeding
- Trouble in breathing
- Seizures (convulsions)
- Trouble in breathing
- Liver issues: dark urine, jaundice, clay- coloured stools, pain in the upper stomach, loss of appetite
- Nerve symptoms: tingling, numbness, burning pain, sensitivity to light touch, temperature
- Tendon rupture: sudden pain, bruising, swelling, tenderness, movement problem, stiffness, popping sound in joints
- Behavioural changes like depression, confusion, paranoia, hallucination, tremors, anxiety, insomnia, nightmares, suicidal thoughts
- Increased skull pressure severe leading to headache, dizziness, ringing in your ears, nausea, pain behind the eyes, vision problem
- Skin reactions: red or purple rash causing blistering and peeling
Pregnancy and breast- feeding
If you are pregnant or feed a baby, you must discuss with your doctor if you use this drug or not.
Searches Related to Levofloxacin
|levofloxacin and alcohol (407,000 results)||levofloxacin uses (2,890,000 results)|
|levofloxacin dosage (561,000 results)||levofloxacin 500 mg (500,000 results)|
|levofloxacin side effects (467,000 results)||levofloxacin 500mg (454,000 results)|
|levofloxacin 750 mg (416,000 results)||levofloxacin reviews (411,000 results)|