Keflex Prescribing Information
Keflex is an antibiotic drug that belongs to the first- generation of antibiotics. The generic name of Keflex is cephalexin. It is a cephalosporin antibiotic that helps in fighting bacterial infections.
Keflex is used in the treatment of a variety of bacterial infections but, it does not work for viral infections.
Mode of action of Keflex
Keflex is a potent beta- lactam antibiotic drug. It is potent in killing gram- positive as well as gram- negative bacteria. It has bactericidal properties. It works by arresting the growth of the causative bacteria. Keflex works by disrupting the cell wall of the bacterial and hence, killing it.
Keflex is used to treat infections caused by germs, including skin infections, urinary tract infections, and upper respiratory infections
Uses of Keflex
Keflex is used in the treatment of a number of bacterial infections. This cephalosporin antibiotic can be used in the treatment of:
- Upper respiratory tract infections
- Skin infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Ear infections
- During dental procedures for the patients who have a history of cardiac conditions like artificial heart valves in order to prevent the occurrence of severe infections like bacterial endocarditis
How to Use Keflex?
You must take this antibiotic as prescribed by your doctor. You must strictly follow the advice given by your doctor regarding the drug dosage. Take this oral drug with a glass of water. Store this antibiotic at room temperature without any exposure to light, heat and moisture.
Side- effects of Keflex
Every drug comes with a set of side- effects, some mild while some severe. Keflex is not at all an exception. It also has its own set of side- effects. Here, are the side- effects caused by Keflex:
Common side- effects of Keflex
The common side effects of Keflex are usually mild and do not require medical attention. They include:
- Feeling tired
- Unusual vaginal discharge or itching in vagina
- Joint pain
Serious side- effects of Keflex
There are some serious side effects of Keflex too. They require strict medical attention. If you experience any of the below mentioned side- effect, you must consult your doctor and get medical help immediately. The serious side- effects include:
- Severe pain in the stomach
- Bloody or watery diarrhoea
- Yellowing of eye or of skin
- Unusual bleeding from mouth, nose, rectum or vagina
- Easy bruising
- Red or purple pinpoint spots beneath the skin
- No urination or very little urination
- Very severe skin allergy skin pain that is followed by purple or red skin rashes occurring on face as well as upper body leading to blistering and peeling
- Sore throat
- Burning in the eyes
- Allergic reactions manifesting as hives, swelling on face, tongue, lips or throat and difficult breathing
Pregnancy or Breast- feeding
If you are pregnant, you must use this drug only when strictly indicated. You must discuss it with your doctor.
Keflex also passes into the breast milk. Consult the doctor before you take this drug.
Searches Related to Cephalexin
|cephalexin alcohol (503,000 results)||cephalexin vs amoxicillin (436,000 results)|
|cephalexin uses (3,080,000 results)||cephalexin dosage (524,000 results)|
|cephalexin generation (372,000 results)||what is cephalexin 500 mg used for (4,680,000 results)|
|cephalexin for uti (451,000 results)||cephalexin 500mg side effects (362,000 results)|